Man Utd To Launch €48m Bid For Argentina Star, Player Tells Club He Wants Move

By on June 11, 2015

As the opening of the summer transfer window approaches, managers are working hard identifying targets and lining-up potential deals so we’ll bring you all the news and gossip. Today, Manchester United are set to move for Nicolas Otamendi….

Manchester United are ready to launch a €50m move to sign defender Nicolas Otamendi after the player told Valencia he wants to leave this summer, according to reports.

United boss Louis van Gaal is expected to be busy in the transfer market this summer as he looks to build a title-winning squad next season and a central defender is understood to be a main priority for the Dutchman.

With Mats Hummels set to stay at Borussia Dortmund, it appears van Gaal has turned his attention to Otamendi with reports in recent weeks suggesting he’s become a key target for the Red Devils boss.

It looks like United are now ready to make a formal move for the Argentinean international as the Mirror claim today that the Old Trafford giants will test Valencia’s resolve with a €48m (£35m) bid over the coming days.

That figure falls just short of the Spaniard’s valuation, with Valencia president Amadeo Salvo telling reporters that they will demand at least €50m for the players signature and warned Otamendi he’ll have to go public with his desire to leave if he wants to force a move.

“Valencia do not give in to pressure from any agent or any comments.

“Valencia’s position will always be the same. If Otamendi wants to leave he will have to say it publicly.

“If he wants to go he will have to come to the club, not an agent, and pay what the club decide he is worth, which is €50 million at least, and with the payment structure that Valencia decide.” Salvo is quoted as saying in the Mirror

If United are prepared to pay €48m you’d expect they’ll pay the extra €2m to meet Valencia’s asking price so a deal could be on the cards this summer.

The Mirror claim that Otamendi has already privately informed the La Liga outfit that he wants to leave while the centre-back’s agent Eugenio Lopez was quoted as saying last month that talks are well underway with interested parties.

He told reporters:

“Nicolas is comfortable with Valencia and the fans but will have an option to improve his career.

“Jorge Mendes already knows that Nico wants to leave Valencia. Nico will do everything possible to get it, he will do everything possible to leave.

“If there’s an offer from a club we consider a top club, and it benefits his family, Nico wants to go. There are many discussions with several clubs who want to sign Otamendi.”

You have to take all transfer rumours with a pinch of salt these days but I think it’s safe to say there is interest from United in Otamendi and a deal can be done if he’s really the defender van Gaal wants this summer.

READ MORE –> Man Utd transfer news

€50m would be a huge sum for a centre-back but the Argentine has been excellent for Valencia since joining the club and his no-nonsense style of defending would be a real asset at United. He’d certainly be a big upgrade on the likes of Jonny Evans and Phil Jones at the back next season if he was to make a move to Old Trafford.

Best of the web

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *