[Tweet] Dortmund Aim Dig At Man Utd After Confirming £26.3m Mkhitaryan Deal

By on July 2, 2016

The opening of the summer transfer window is now open so we’ll bring you all the latest transfer rumours and gossip from around the globe. Today, Henrikh Mkhitaryan has joined Man Utd…

Borussia Dortmund have confirmed on their official website that they’ve agreed a deal to sell attacking midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan to Manchester United this summer.

Mkhitaryan has been strongly linked with a move to Old Trafford since it became clear he wasn’t going to sign a new contract after extension talks with Dortmund collapsed last month.

The Bundesliga giants initially made it clear they were determined to keep hold of the 27-year-old and threatened to force the player to see-out the final year of his contract.

However, their stance softened after United tabled a substantially improved offer and CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke said earlier this week that the club would make a final decision before pre-season training starts on Monday.

That decision has now been taken as Dortmund announced on Twitter a short time ago that they’ve agreed to sell Mkhitaryan to United and while they don’t disclose the fee, Sky Sports News claim the deal is worth £26.3m.

Dortmund tweeted:

The German giants then confirmed the news on their official website with a statement on bvb.de saying that after careful consideration they’ve decided to bow to the wishes of the attacker and sell him to United – who they cheekily describe as the team who finished fifth in the table last season.

The paths of Borussia Dortmund midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan and (27) separate from this summer. After intensive discussions BVB have complied with the wishes of the Armenian national team member to join Manchester United – who finished fifth in the Premier League last season.”

Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke went on to confirm that they decided to cash-in on Mkhitaryan now rather than lose him for nothing next summer after United tabled an ‘enormously lucrative offer’. He told the clubs website:

“Manchester (United) made us an enormously lucrative offer Had we rejected it the player would have left in 2017 without a fee and we would have just delayed the issue for a year.”

Dortmund’s sly digs continued when they went on to wish Mkhitaryan well for the coming season in both the Premier League and the Europa League – which is an obviously dig at the fact he’s taking a step down from the Champions League football that would have been on offer had he stayed at the Westfalonstadion.

At the time of writing, United have yet to confirm the move but the Manchester Evening News claimed that Mkhitaryan flew in to the UK on Friday to undergo his medical and finalise personal terms, so the deal should be wrapped-up any time now.

Mkhitaryan will then become Jose Mourinho’s third signing of the summer with Ivory Coast defender Eric Bailly joining United from Villarreal last month while Zlatan Ibrahimovic completed his free transfer move on Friday.

READ MORE –> Man Utd transfer news

It’s safe to say the United fans should be excited by Mkhitaryan’s arrival as he’s one of the most dangerous attackers in world football having scored 23 goals and provided 32 assists last season alone, so he’ll certainly add some much needed creativity to Mourinho’s new-look side next season.

Best of the web

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *