Tottenham Handed Boost In Pursuit Of £20m Attacker After Liverpool End Interest

By on July 11, 2016

The summer transfer window is now open so we’ll bring you all the latest transfer rumours and gossip from around the globe. Today, Tottenham are handed a boost in their pursuit of Mario Gotze…

Tottenham Hotspur have been handed a major boost in their pursuit of Mario Gotze after Liverpool withdraw from the race to sign the £20m-rated Bayern Munich attacker, according to the Liverpool Echo.

Gotze’s future has been the subject of intense speculation in recent months after enduing a difficult campaign at Bayern which saw him make just 14 starts in all competitions having fallen out-of-favour under Pep Guardiola.

The 24-year-old was initially expected to leave the Allianz Arena in search of regular action before he surprisingly declared last month that he was willing to stay and fight for his place under new boss Carlo Ancelotti, despite CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge suggesting he would continue to be a bit-part player.

However, the Mirror reported over the weekend that Gotze has now accepted he has no future at Bayern with the attacker understood to have told German team mates that he needs to resurrect his career at a new club after a disappointing Euro 2016 campaign.

The newspaper said that Tottenham had joined Liverpool in the race to sign Gotze this summer with the North Londoners reportedly opening initial talks with Bayern over a potential £20m deal.

It looks like Spurs have now been handed a major boost as the Liverpool Echo are claiming today that despite Liverpool holding talks with Gotze’s representatives last month, the Reds have now withdrawn their interest in signing the player.

The newspaper suggests that Jurgen Klopp is happy with his attacking options after signing Sadio Mane from Southampton so will no longer be pursuing Gotze – who he worked closely with during their time at Dortmund.

This news will come as a huge boost to Tottenham as they are now in pole position to snap-up the German international if he decides he wants to try his luck in the Premier League next season.

Mauricio Pochettino tottenham

Mauricio Pochettino is hoping to strengthen his squad ahead of their assault on the Champions League next season and no doubt a player of Gotze’s caliber would be seen as a major coup for the White Hart Lane club.

The German is able to play anywhere across the attacking midfield positions while he’s also spent time up front in the ‘false 9’ role for both club and country so he’d give Pochettino plenty of options in the final third if they were able to get a deal agreed.

READ MORE –> Spurs transfer news | Liverpool transfer news

However, Spurs could yet face disappointment as the Mirror are suggesting that Borussia Dortmund are expecting to wrap-up a £20m deal to re-sign Gotze just three years after he made a controversial move to Bayern.

We’ll have to see how things develop over the coming days but I’m sure Tottenham will do all they can to try and lure Gotze to England and I think he’d turn out to be a superb signing for the Lillywhites.

Best of the web

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *