Chelsea Step-Up Interest In £30m Star As Conte Eyes Quadruple Swoop

By on August 8, 2017

Managers are now pressing ahead with their plans for the summer transfer window so we’ll bring you all the latest news and gossip from around the globe. Today, Chelsea step-up their interest in Danny Drinkwater….

Chelsea have stepped-up their interest in £30m-rated Leicester City midfielder Danny Drinkwater as Antonio Conte looks to bring in up to four more players this summer, according to the Evening Standard.

Conte has already signed four new recruits so far with goalkeeper Willy Caballero, centre-back Antonio Rudiger, midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko and striker Alvaro Morata all arriving in recent weeks.

However, the Blues boss knows he needs to further strengthen if Chelsea are going to compete on all fronts this season and the Evening Standard claims director Marina Granovskaia has stepped-up the clubs pursuit of new players with Conte wanting up to four more new arrivals before the end of the month.

A new central midfielder appears to be a priority and the newspaper says Chelsea are ready to intensify their efforts to sign Drinkwater after Conte made the Leicester star one of his prime targets.

The 27-year-old played a major role in helping the Foxes win the title in 2015/16 while he’s also been recognised at international level after breaking in to the England national team set-up.

However, Leicester aren’t ready to let Drinkwater leave without a fight and the Evening Standard suggest it will take an offer of at least £30m to persuade them to cash-in this summer.

It remains to be seen whether Chelsea will be prepared to pay that kind of money but Drinkwater would provide solid competition for the likes of Bakayoko, N’Golo Kante and Cesc Fabregas if he were to move to Stamford Bridge and he’d also boost the clubs homegrown quota.

antonio conte chelsea

As well as signing another central midfielder, the newspaper claims Conte is also looking to bring in at least one wing-back, an attacking midfielder and another forward over the coming weeks.

The report says Chelsea’s list of targets to fill those positions include Ross Barkley, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Renato Sanches, Fernando Llorente and Alex Sandro while the club will also go for centre-back Virgil van Dijk if Southampton indicate they will sell.

READ MORE –> Chelsea transfer news

It’s gearing-up to be an exciting final few weeks to the summer but it’s safe to say Chelsea will be a real force again this season if they manage to conduct all the business they are hoping to over the coming weeks.

Best of the web

2 Comments

  1. Pete

    August 8, 2017 at 2:29 pm

    Only Conte seems to rate him at £30m.
    Leicester will not sell…if they do it will eclipse the Neymar fee…£200m plus.
    4 year deal…he stays.

  2. Rich

    August 8, 2017 at 7:22 pm

    With the close of the window and the new season fast approaching, Chelsea are in a familiar position – several (say 4) players short and too little time to integrate more new arrivals before the action starts. This and having missed the likes of Lukaku,while dumping Matic, Chabaloa and Loftus-cheek!
    Are we going to see a repeat of the season before last – the chaos, a poor run, the ruin of a champion team, and the loss of yet another World-Class manager!
    Time to get rid of Emenolo and Granovskaia – they simply do not do the job!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *