- Liverpool Installed As Surprise Favourites To Sign Man Utd Attacker
- Real Madrid Super Star Wants Man Utd Move As Mourinho Prepares £96.4m Move
- Arsenal Set To Beat Liverpool To 24-Goal Hitman After Triggering £20m Clause
- Arsene Wenger Ready To Sell As Liverpool Prepare Raid On Arsenal
- Man Utd Determined To Beat Chelsea To Signing Of £50m-Rated International
- Arsenal Open Formal Talks Over £60m Double Swoop
Transfer News: Arsenal Lead Chelsea In Race For French Defender
Despite the transfer window being closed, there is always transfer gossip doing the rounds in the papers and we’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest news during the coming months. Today, Arsenal and Chelsea are linked with Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa.
Arsenal are leading Chelsea in the race to sign Montpellier captain Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, according to the Metro.
Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is a long-term admirer of the defenders and tried to land him in the summer, but the defender decided to remain with Montpellier and lead the club out in the Champions League this season.
However, having been drawn in the same group as Arsenal, the Ligue 1 champions have crashed out at the first hurdle and Wenger is set to renew his interest in January.
Chelsea and AC Milan have also shown interest in the 23-year-old but the Gunners are believed to be the front-runners and enjoy a good relationship with Montpellier after signing Olivier Giroud in the summer.
The French outfit were adamant they wouldn’t let Yanga-Mbiwa leave while they were still competing in the Champions League, but after finishing bottom of Group B they don’t even have Europa League action to look forward to in the New Year, opening the door for a potential January exit.
The Metro claim Yanga-Mbia has refused to rule out a move and with Arsenal likely to sell Johan Djourou and Sebastien Squillaci when the transfer window opens next month, the versatile French defender would be a useful addition to Wenger’s squad.
Would you like Yanga-Mbiwa at your club? Get involved in the comments section.