- [Photos & Video] Player All Smiles In Chelsea Shirt After Completing £34m Move
- [Photo] Moussa Sissoko Poses With Tottenham Shirt After Completing £30m Move
- [Photos] Jack Wilshere All Smiles After Completing Move Away From Arsenal
- Liverpool Transfer News: £20m Bid Rejected | Defender Told To Leave On Loan
- Arsenal Agree To Let Wilshere Leave Following Crunch Talks With Wenger
- Liverpool Steal March On Man Utd After Tabling £30m Offer For Brazilian Forward
United Open Official Talks Over £20m-Rated City Targets
Despite the transfer window being closed, there is always transfer gossip doing the rounds in the papers and we’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest news during the coming months. Today, Man Utd are linked with a £20m raid on two Man City targets.
Manchester United have opened talks with Dinamo Zagreb over the signing of Manchester City targets Alen Halilovic and Sime Vrsaliko, according to the Daily Mail.
United chief executive David Gill is believed to have flown out to Croatia on Tuesday and held official talks with Zagreb about signing the highly-rated duo.
Gill’s primary focus was on £15m-rated Halilovic but with manager Sir Alex Ferguson keen to add to his defensive options, the United supremo also enquired about Vrsalijko and the Mail suggest they could now follow up discussions with a £20m double swoop this January.
Gill was back at Old Trafford in time to watch United’s Champions League game with Cluj on Wednesday and is said to be confident his side are now ahead of City in the race to land the highly-rated Croatian pair.
16-year-old Halilovic has been likened to compatriot Luka Modric and United made their move after rivals City were slammed by Dinamo’s sporting director Zdravko Mamic for their £7m offer:
’I have seen the reports about City offering £7m for Alen, but that would not even buy his left leg.’
Mamic is quoted as saying by the Mail
Vrsaliko is a versatile 20-year-old defender who’s preferred position is right-back, but can play anywhere across the back-line. He’s represented Croatia at every youth level and has recently broken into the senior set-up, making four appearances so far.
The news of United moving for two of his top targets is sure to anger City boss Roberto Mancini, who was left seething after losing out on Robin van Persie in the summer.
Are United fans excited about being linked with this Croatian duo? Get involved in the comments section below.