- Liverpool Handed Major Injury Boost Ahead Of Man City Showdown
- England Squad Announced: Eric Dier Joins Man Utd & Liverpool Stars In 23-Man Squad
- Liverpool Receive Injury Boost As Attacker Eyes Swift Return From Surgery
- Major Injury Boost For Liverpool As Duo Take Part In Klopps First Training Session
- Klopp Finally Speaks Out Amid Reports He’s Set To Be Named New Liverpool Boss
- Liverpool Dealt Fresh Injury Blow: Star Faces 2 Months Out + Firmino Update
Assou-Ekotto To Chelsea?
Despite the transfer window being closed, there is always transfer gossip doing the rounds in the papers and we’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest news during the coming months. Today, Chelsea are linked with Benoit Assou-Ekotto.
Chelsea are lining up an audacious bid to try and sign Tottenham Hotspur left-back Benoit Assou-Ekotto next summer, according to the Mirror.
The report claims that current first-choice full-back, Ashley Cole, will leave Stamford Bridge when his contract expires at the end of the season and they will look to bring in another defender in the summer.
The Mirror suggests that while Southampton’s 17-year-old Luke Shaw is being watched, the European champions would prefer to bring in a more experienced player as competition for Ryan Bertrand – who’s seen as the long-term successor to Cole – and are understood to be ready to test Tottenham’s resolve with a £5m offer next summer.
That seems a little low for a player of Ekotto’s quality. He was one of Tottenham’s best players last season and is a crowd favourite at White Hart Lane. The 28-year-old joined Spurs from Lens in 2006 and has gone on to make over 180 appearances for the club in all competitions.
The Cameroon international has been out for much of the season with a knee injury but is closing in on a first-team comeback and it would be difficult to see boss Andre Villas-Boas letting Ekotto join a rival for just £5m.
Would Chelsea fans like to see Ekotto at Stamford Bridge next summer? Get involved in the comments section below.