- Klopp Finally Speaks Out Amid Reports He’s Set To Be Named New Liverpool Boss
- Liverpool Dealt Fresh Injury Blow: Star Faces 2 Months Out + Firmino Update
- Man Utd Plotting £90m Move For 321 Goal Super-Star
- Key Man Ruled Out As Man Utd Announce 20-Man Squad For PSV Game
- Chelsea Dealt Blow As Key Man Suffers Injury Ahead Of Everton Trip
- Madrid Chief: Arsenal Target Was Among 4 Players Man Utd Tried To Sign This Summer
Chelsea To Fend Off Bacelona Interest By Offering Courtois New Deal?
Despite the transfer window being closed, there is always transfer gossip doing the rounds in the papers and we’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest news during the coming months. Today, news on the future of Thibaut Courtois.
Chelsea will bring Thibaut Courtois back to Stamford Bridge in the summer but may have to fend off interest from Barcelona, according to the Daily Mail.
Courtois is currently enjoying his second season-long loan spell with Atletico Madrid and has been hugely impressive during his time in La Liga – keeping 15 clean sheets in 38 games last season.
However, the Mail suggest that his impressive form has alerted Spanish giants Barcelona and now the Blues may have a fight on their hands to keep hold of the Belgian stopper.
The report claims that Chelsea want the 20-year-old to return to West London in the summer and compete with Petr Cech for the No.1 jersey, and they may look to offer him a pay rise and extend his current contract – which expires in 2016 – to ensure he remains with the club.
Read more Chelsea transfer news
Courtois was signed from Genk in August 2011 and immediately loaned out to Madrid in order to gain some first team experience. But after two years with Los Rojiblancos, the European champions seem ready to give him his chance at the Bridge and the Mail suggest that his return could mean the futures of Ross Turnbull and Hilario are in doubt.
How highly do you rate Courtois? Is he a future No.1 at Chelsea? Get involved in the comments section below.