- Real Madrid Accept Arsenal’s £48m Bid For Karim Benzema
- Arsenal To Submit £21m Bid For Bundesliga Attacker
- Manchester United Make Enquiry For 31-Goal Striker
- Man Utd Agree £22.3m Attacker Deal, Player Likely To Arrive Next Week
- Arsenal Star In Battle To Face Liverpool After Suffering Fresh Injury Blow
- Adidas Pushing For Deal As Man Utd Plot World Record Move For La Liga Attacker
Chelsea Transfer News: Defender Set To Sign Record Deal
With the January transfer window now open for business we’ll be keeping you up-to-date with all the latest transfer gossip. Today, Ashley Cole to become to world’s highest paid defender.
Ashley Cole has made himself the highest paid defender in world football after agreeing a one-year contract extension with Chelsea worth just under £200,000-a-week, according to the Daily Mail.
Cole’s current deal expires at the end of the season and there had been fears he would walk away from the club on a free transfer after struggling to agree terms over a new deal. The report claims that Cole’s representatives have held talk with the likes of Real Madrid, Manchester United and Paris St Germain after the Blues initially decided not to renew his contract.
However, the Mail claim Chelsea have buckled and agreed to pay what the 32-year-old is demanding as it would have cost them over £15m to sign a replacement who was capable of filling his boots.
Ryan Bertrand has the potential to become an excellent left back but he hasn’t really progressed as some may have hoped this season and the newspaper understands this also played a part in Chelsea’s decision to offer Cole a new record deal, with the contract set to be officially signed before the Blues Capital One Cup semi final second leg with Swansea.
Read more Chelsea transfer news
Are Chelsea fans relieved that Cole has agreed a new contract? Get involved in the comments section below.