- Arsenal Eye Audacious Move For Key Barcelona Midfielder
- Man Utd Boss Confirms He’ll Buy Attacker & Responds To Reported Ronaldo Interest
- World Class Striker Drops Huge Hint Over Manchester United Move
- Man Utd In Advanced Talks To Sign Chelsea & Liverpool Target, Deal Expected Soon
- Man Utd To Table Formal Bid For £35m-Rated Chelsea Target After Talks With Agent
- Man Utd Target Refuses To Rule Out £40m Arsenal Move Following Talks With Wenger
Rodgers Flies To Holland To Watch Highly-Rated Feyenoord Captain
Despite the transfer window now being closed there will still be plenty of gossip doing the rounds in the newspapers, so we’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest transfer rumours. Today, Liverpool are linked with Stefan De Vrij.
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers flew to Rotterdam on Sunday afternoon to make a personal check on highly-rated Feyenoord captain Stefan De Vrij, according to the Daily Mail.
Rodgers is on the hunt for a replacement for long-serving defender Jamie Carragher after the 35-year-old announced his decision to retire at the end of the season, and it seems the Reds boss has identified De Vrij as a potential successor.
The Mail claim the Dutch international has been on Liverpool’s radar for some time and Rodgers flew to Holland on Sunday to watch the 21-year-old captain his Feyenoord side to a vital 2-1 win over title-rivals PSV Eindhoven.
The paper suggests that the Merseysiders may have to sign two central defenders this summer with doubts cast over the future of Sebastian Coates as well as Carragher retiring, but they may have competition for De Vrij with Newcastle scouts also understood to be in the stands on Sunday to watch the talented stopper. – who’s got less than 18 months to run on his current contract.
Read more Liverpool transfer news
Feyenoord would no doubt be loath to losing their captain but with less than 18 months left to run on his current contract, the Eredivisie outfit may have a tough decision to make if Liverpool come calling with a serious offer in the summer.
Would Liverpool fans like to see De Vrij at Anfield next season? Get involved in the comments section below.