- [Photos & Video] Player All Smiles In Chelsea Shirt After Completing £34m Move
- [Photo] Moussa Sissoko Poses With Tottenham Shirt After Completing £30m Move
- [Photos] Jack Wilshere All Smiles After Completing Move Away From Arsenal
- Liverpool Transfer News: £20m Bid Rejected | Defender Told To Leave On Loan
- Arsenal Agree To Let Wilshere Leave Following Crunch Talks With Wenger
- Liverpool Steal March On Man Utd After Tabling £30m Offer For Brazilian Forward
Rodgers Flies To Holland To Watch Highly-Rated Feyenoord Captain
Despite the transfer window now being closed there will still be plenty of gossip doing the rounds in the newspapers, so we’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest transfer rumours. Today, Liverpool are linked with Stefan De Vrij.
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers flew to Rotterdam on Sunday afternoon to make a personal check on highly-rated Feyenoord captain Stefan De Vrij, according to the Daily Mail.
Rodgers is on the hunt for a replacement for long-serving defender Jamie Carragher after the 35-year-old announced his decision to retire at the end of the season, and it seems the Reds boss has identified De Vrij as a potential successor.
The Mail claim the Dutch international has been on Liverpool’s radar for some time and Rodgers flew to Holland on Sunday to watch the 21-year-old captain his Feyenoord side to a vital 2-1 win over title-rivals PSV Eindhoven.
The paper suggests that the Merseysiders may have to sign two central defenders this summer with doubts cast over the future of Sebastian Coates as well as Carragher retiring, but they may have competition for De Vrij with Newcastle scouts also understood to be in the stands on Sunday to watch the talented stopper. – who’s got less than 18 months to run on his current contract.
Read more Liverpool transfer news
Feyenoord would no doubt be loath to losing their captain but with less than 18 months left to run on his current contract, the Eredivisie outfit may have a tough decision to make if Liverpool come calling with a serious offer in the summer.
Would Liverpool fans like to see De Vrij at Anfield next season? Get involved in the comments section below.