- Arsenal Ready To Battle Liverpool For Brazilian, Player Confirms Decision To Leave
- Arsenal Playmaker Mesut Ozil Offers Positive Injury Update
- Man Utd Make Audacious €25m Offer For La Liga Midfielder But Man City Also Keen
- Liverpool Attacker A Doubt To Face Arsenal After Aggravating Injury
- Mourinho May Sanction Move As Liverpool Make Audacious Swoop For Chelsea Star
- Man Utd Handed Major Injury Boost Ahead Of Aston Villa Clash
Benitez & Terry Involved In Training Ground Bust Up
The Blues slumped to a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Premier League champions Manchester City on Sunday to leave their hopes of a top-four finish this season hanging in the balance. The Mail claims interim boss Benitez pulled the squad aside at training on Monday to tell the players their attitude, lack of effort and failure to grasp tactics had cost several managers their jobs in recent years.
It’s then reported that the Spaniard was stunned when a senior player hit back reminding the boss that the same squad had lifted the European Cup and several Premier League titles and FA Cups in recent years before skipper John Terry got involved to also stick up for the players.
Terry didn’t even play against City at the weekend but the Mail claim Benitez tried to single him out after picking up on a comment the captain made in the dressing room following the defeat at the Etihad, with Terry understood to have defended himself before reminding the former Liverpool boss that senior players have had to speak to him in the past about his managerial methods as a heated exchange ensued.
The bust-up occurred as Chelsea prepared for Wednesday’s FA Cup clash with Middlesborough and the club will be hopeful the incident won’t undermine the squads preparations for what could be a key couple of weeks in their season.
It’s been a turbulent year at Stamford Bridge after following the sacking of Roberto Di Matteo and defeat on Sunday has left the Blues just two points clear of fifth-placed Arsenal and facing a mounting fixture list.
What do Chelsea fans make of the reported bust-up? Get involved in the comments section below.