Arsenal & Chelsea Dealt Blow As €50m Attacker Looks Set For Old Trafford Switch

By on July 3, 2014

The summer transfer window is now open for business and it’s expected to be a busy few weeks as managers strengthen their squads ahead of next season, so we’ll bring you all the latest news and gossip. Today, Angel Di Maria is linked with Man Utd.

Angel Di Maria Real Madrid

Arsenal and Chelsea appear to have been dealt a blow with reports suggesting that the agent of Angel Di Maria has claimed the Real Madrid attacker is set to join Manchester United.

Despite just coming off the back of a hugely productive season at the Bernabeu that saw him score 11 and set up 26 goals to help Madrid land the Champions League, Di Maria has surprisingly been linked with a move away this summer.

Widespread reports claim that the 26-year-old has grown tired of feeling undervalued and playing in the shadow of Cristiano Ronaldo at the Spanish giants, with some reports last week suggesting that the attacker has already told Madrid bosses he wants to leave.

Di Maria did little to play down the speculation when quizzed about leaving the Bernabeu, telling reporters recently that he knows there is interest in him and he’ll decide his future after the World Cup.

“For now, I’m just thinking the World Cup. We’ll see what happens with Madrid and if they want to continue, he said.

“Honestly, I know that there are offers and interested clubs.” Di Maria is quoted as saying by the Express.

Understandably, several clubs have been linked with the Argentinean attacker with Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United among those understood to be keen on signing him if he’s available.

The Gunners were strongly linked with the player last summer before they signed Mesut Ozil and with Arsene Wenger looking to strengthen his attack this summer, Di Maria’s name has been touted around once again, while the papers also believe that Jose Mourinho is keen on being reunited with the player having worked together during his time at Madrid.

However, it appears the London duo could be set to miss out as the Express cite reports coming out of Spain that claim Di Maria’s agent, Jorge Mendes, has indicated that his client will be joining United this summer. The report doesn’t carry any quotes from Mr Mendes, but it does suggest that Madrid president Florentino Perez is ready to cash-in on the player for €50 (£40m) to help fund a move for Monaco’s James Rodriguez.

If true, it would be a sensational coup by United and continue what’s already been an exciting summer in the transfer market. New boss Louis van Gaal has already splashed some serious cash to bring in Luke Shaw and Ander Herrera, and the spending doesn’t look like letting up any time soon.

READ MORE –> Arsenal transfer news | Chelsea transfer news | Man Utd transfer news

Di Maria would bring some much-needed creativity and guile to the United attack if he did end up moving to Old Trafford, and he’d certainly be the type of player to get the fans off their seat next season, so I’m sure the United faithful are praying that these reports are accurate. However, only time will tell if there was any foundation to them, or if it was all just pure speculation.

Best of the web

2 Comments

  1. Proof Loriroof

    July 3, 2014 at 9:43 pm

    Here comes a once in a blue moon chance for a quality winger.Grab it United

  2. deekay

    July 4, 2014 at 10:57 am

    Di Maria Would be going to chelsea…that’s if jose mourinho really wants him.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *