Agent Confirms Talks With Arsenal & Liverpool Over Potential Deal For €50m Hitman

By on August 7, 2014

The summer transfer window is now well under way and managers are working hard to strengthen their squads ahead of next season, so we’ll bring you all the latest news and gossip. Today, Arsenal and Liverpool are linked with Chelsea and Man Utd target Edinson Cavani.

Edinson-Cavani

Photo: Football365

The agent of Edinson Cavani has claimed that Arsenal and Liverpool have both held talks with the Uruguayan hitman over a potential move to England but no decision over his future has been made as yet, according to reports.

Cavani’s future has been under the microscope in recent months after the attacker admitted back in April that he’s growing increasingly frustrated at having to play out wide to accommodate Zlatan Ibrahimovic through the middle, and the former Napoli hitman confirmed that he would hold talks with PSG officials this summer to discuss his future.

The uncertainty led to speculation he could be on the move this summer and he was soon linked with a switch to long-term admirers Chelsea while Manchester United were also touted as potential buyers.

However, it appears they are not the only clubs keen on luring Cavani to the Premier League as one of the forward’s agents, Claudio Anellucci, has revealed that Arsenal and Liverpool have held talks with the 27-year-old and put forward their proposals.

While Anellucci acknowledges that Cavani is keen to play in the Premier League, he insists that no decision over his clients future has been made. He told South American newspaper El Telegrafo:

“There has been much interest in the player during the last six months,” Cavani’s agent told El Telegrafo. “I can confirm that Cavani heard proposals from Liverpool and Arsenal.

“Already said he would love to play in England, but has not yet made a final decision.

“He is not interested in money and fame; just want to be happy playing football.” Anellucci is quoted as saying by the Express.

So it looks like their is serious interest from the Premier League in Cavani’s services and reports last month suggested that PSG were ready to cash in for around €50m to help fund a move for Real Madrid’s Angel Di Maria.

However, president Nasser Al-Khelaifi confirmed earlier today that the Ligue 1 champions have pulled out of talks with Madrid for the Argentinean winger as the deal was too expensive, which is likely to mean Cavani is no longer on the market and end any hopes Arsenal and Liverpool had of landing him this summer.

This will of course come as a huge blow to both clubs as Cavani would have been a major coup had one of them been able to pull it off. Despite the Uruguayan international spending much of his time on the wing during his first season at the club, Cavani still managed to chip in with 25 goals and he would have proven to be a potent threat had he made the move to England this summer.

READ MORE –> Arsenal transfer news | Liverpool transfer news

But unless PSG can find another target in the next couple of weeks, Cavani is likely to be off the market meaning the likes of Arsene Wenger and Brendan Rodgers will have to look elsewhere if they want to sign another top class striker before the window closes at the end of the month.

Best of the web

2 Comments

  1. Abuzeee

    August 7, 2014 at 8:59 pm

    Wenger should sign a defensive midfielder and reliable attacker if he want to win a trophy next season.

  2. geekaybee

    August 8, 2014 at 7:15 am

    Abuzeee, with all the talk amongst fans about signing this player or that player and playing this system or that system, in one sentence you have encapsulated everything that needs to be said. Well done.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *