Maybe Spurs Didn’t Want Champions League Football After All?

By on July 30, 2010

Harry-Redknapp

Written by Fab4.

The Spuds do make me laugh. It takes them years to finally qualify for the Champions League (qualifying round) and when they get there, they complain about the fixtures!

VOdds

For those of you who haven’t heard, good old ‘Arry Redknapp has been moaning about Tottenham’s fixture pile-up at the start of the season and saying it’s ridiculous they are expected to play every Saturday/Wednesday.

“If you look at our schedule, we had a game tonight, then we play Benfica on Tuesday, Fiorentina on Saturday, then the international game in midweek, then Man City on Saturday, then a Champions League qualifier on the Tuesday/Wednesday, then Stoke away, then a Champions League qualifier, then Wigan…..I mean it’s crazy.

Every Saturday/ Wednesday and we pile more games in. The last thing we need is to be playing more games, we need to train. To many games have been scheduled.”

“Can someone tell me why you have an international week the week before the start of the season?

They’ve all been away at the World Cup together, now they have to meet up for a meaningless friendly the week before the start of the season.

I wont see those players from Saturday night until Friday before we play Man City.”

Sorry Harry, is the Champions League getting in the way?! Now he does have a point about the crazy England friendly, but the rest is rubbish. How can he be complaining about the friendlies his club have arranged? If you didn’t want the friendlies, then don’t arrange them! And i hate to drop it to you Harry, but if you want your little Spuds team to be a major force in Europe, then you better get used to playing a game every 3-4 days. Arsenal, Chelsea, United and Liverpool have had to do it for years.

Hopefully you’ll get your wish and Spurs will have all week free to train after you exit the Champions League in the early stages, but my advice is you should enjoy it while it lasts. It’s a bit of a kick-in-the-face to the Spurs fans really. When they finished fourth they celebrated like they had won the League, Champions League and World Cup all at once…now their leader is moaning about having to actually play the games. Redknapp should be buzzing about the up-coming Champions League games, I’m sure the fans are, why not him?

What’s he gonna do when he has to juggle Carling Cup and FA Cup games as well? Probably rest his first team and play the reserves eh? Oh hang on a minute, wasn’t Redknapp one of the ‘Arsenal are degrading the domestic cups by playing weakened teams’ brigade? Maybe now he will realise when you play at the top you have to prioritise.

Before all you Spurs fans jump down my throat, save it. I’m an Arsenal fan who contributes Arsenal related content to www.football-talk.co.uk, but i believe Redknapp should have chosen his words more carefully. Qualifying for the Champions League was a massive achievement for Tottenham and the games should be looked forward to with excitement. The England friendly aside, he has nothing to complain about.

***EDIT*** For those of you (Spurs fans) who are saying i have taken the Sky Sports News video out of context. The SSN video has been edited to only show Harry talking about the England friendly. The full interview shows him talking and complaining about all the fixtures Spurs have coming up. So no, he wasn’t only complaining about the England game he was saying ALL the fixtures you have to play is crazy.

91 Comments

1. Sam Williams

July 30, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Apart from the 25-men squad rule, is it applicable to Uefa champ league? If not then the excess top players instead must play to cover up the 1st team in EPL. Seriously if injuries from Uefa CL means unfair consequences to EPL games, no?

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention Maybe Spurs Didn't Want Champions League Football After All? | Football Talk -- Topsy.com

3. Jonny

July 30, 2010 at 12:50 pm

“Before all you Spurs fans jump down my throat, save it. I’m an Arsenal fan and a contributing writer to http://www.football-talk.co.uk,”

Eh are you not supposed to be impartial then?
    Anyone would have guessed you were an Arsenal fan but if you are a “writer” you are supposed to keep your prejudices in.
    BTW Harry is complaining about the International friendly here, I’m fairly sure Wenger would have the very same complaint and I know that Ferguson, Benitez etc have moaned endlessly about their fixture pile ups over the years…

• Heroboy

July 30, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Wenger would’nt complain about a fixture regarding Three Lions would he? 🙂

4. billysboots

July 30, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Author read his quote in full. He is complaining about the England game
    on August the 11th when he loses his players on Sat 7th and they dont return until Friday 13th, he actually said we have games on Sat and Wed, why do they want to cram in more(ie meaningless internationals), if Wegner had said this you would all be nodding your ugly heads in agreement, but then if its just England having a friendly(not sure who else is) you lot wouldnt have to worry.

5. SLG

July 30, 2010 at 12:54 pm

We spudz are twats in the first class. 49 Years and counting. By the way… We’ve never been scared of you…We.ve lost bigger players than Febregas in the pass and got on with it.

6. Jonny

July 30, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I’ve just noticed you call yourself “Fab4” that explains where the bitterness comes from then!!!
    I know how you feel we’ve had players jump ship and publically want out but I never called myself Dimi9 or Sol24, I have my own identity and your about to lose yours!!!

• jon

July 30, 2010 at 8:15 pm

nice!

7. ParkLane67

July 30, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Sad, small-minded, pathetic litte gooner

8. Gooner Jipp

July 30, 2010 at 1:07 pm

I was walking round Tottenham with my willy hanging out…singing I’ve got a forskin havent you!!!!

The Yids are morans, jumping down your throat like that.

To all you Yiddo out there – you will never bridge the gap for simple reasons.

Your Players want to play for us,
    We won 13 league titles to your ????
    We won european trophies to your ?????
    We have more loyal fans,
    We are ina more expensive part of North London then you
    We are richer than you
    Your manager is made of Wax where as our is mad of Gold.

Face it you are small time charlies and I can wait to see you crash out of Europe.

Wankers

• ROB

July 30, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Your players want to play for us you mean ie Arseshavings

We have the 3rd biggest fanbase in the country you cockjockey

you may be in a more expensive part of north london but you dont come from there d*** head

you wish you was richer than us you chump

• superjock

July 30, 2010 at 9:28 pm

lol spurs are the 3rd biggest support in the country . erm………. forget it lol

• Yid 87

July 30, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I really don’t get why you Gooners have to get involved in these Spurs vs Gooners debates because clearly we are the team on the up.
      Why do you always have to live in the past. We won a trophy 2 years ago, fair enough it’s the League Cup but it beats sod all in 5 years.
      We are progressing. Getting into the top 4 and Champions League. Yeah that is a big deal as it shows our progression. By not winning a trophy in 5 years and not moving up in the table and selling your best players doesn’t show progression just stagnation or even getting worse.
      Enjoy your “succession” in the top 4 whilst it lasts because we are building a team and bringing in new talent not getting rid of our best players.
      Enjoy being made mugs of at a national level by Barca Woolwich Wonderers

9. ToppinHam

July 30, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Arry is a pragmatist & good manager- he is only airing his FRUSTRATIONS which ALL managers do: including Arsenic- who I believe labelled a player a MURDERER & has selective myopia & no longer can be called Wenger but WHINGER. You should look 2 your own manager 1st before you look to ours??

10. Lagooner Beach

July 30, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Considering how much our own manager moans about fixtures, I find this article a bit disingenuous. Harry is just following the example set by Wenger and Fergie. No need for the Daily Mail-esque cheap shots.

11. Gunner38

July 30, 2010 at 1:16 pm

ha ha wats the matter cant u take it u yid wankers.

12. bubble9

July 30, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Maybe he names himself after that great slapstick comedian and arsenal goalkeeper Lukas Fabianski.

13. yidarmy73

July 30, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Idiot! The whole point of his criticism centres around a pointless England international in the final week of build-up before the season starts. Regardless of who he manages and where my loyalties as a supporter as, he is right, and I would imagine every top flight manager and fan should feel the same. We all want our teams going into the season firing on all cylinders don’t…..? So how is it of benefit to anybody having their 1st team squad of playing pointless friendlies. At least we’re all in the same boat. As for Champ League…bring it on! Gotta be in it to win…….Liverpool fans???

14. bubble9

July 30, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Oh dear Gooner Jipp you really should look up your facts before you comment. We actually have won 3 european trophies to your 2. Maybe you should go back and edit your comment eh, what do you think hmmm

• Fab4

July 30, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Actually, you only believe it’s based on the England friendly because that’s what Sky Sports News tell you, as that’s what they choose to concentrate on. I have chosen to base my article on the fact he’s moaning about ALL the fixtures, not just the England friendly.

15. Fab4

July 30, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Wow, where do i start?!

Firstly, i am not a journo, i’m an Arsenal fan who writes Arsenal related articles for this website so don’t need to be impartial at all. If you want to write about Spurs, by all means contact the admin team.

I knew i would get a load of stick from the Tottenham fans, but i stand-by what i wrote. I think Harry should be concentrating on the up-coming champions league games and not complaining about the fact he has to play them.
    All it does is highlight his inexperience he has at the very top level.

16. Dom

July 30, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Yes the chap’s grammar, spelling and punctuation arent perfect. The thing is though, I’m not worried about that or how Tottenham do this year, last year or any year. You’re a team playing the same type of football as we did 10 years ago. Good flowing attacking football, and now your results are there too it makes the derby something of a spectacle again. All positives. The above artical is conversing about Harry’s apparent suprise that the Champions League qualifiers make for a very busy start to the season. No-one knows why the FA’s have insisted on the internationals, but then money talks. Harry should have been aware though that success brings more strains on resources.

17. Steve

July 30, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Harry was complaining about the international fixture. Why do Arsenal fans continue to discuss Spurs in their blogs? I would have thought Fabregas being desperate to leave the trophyless scumbags would be enough to chew over this summer. Stupid fcukers.

18. Steve

July 30, 2010 at 1:45 pm

“I’m an Arsenal fan who writes Arsenal related articles for this website”

Err, no mate. You’re an Arsenal fan writing about Tottenham. You pathetic little man.

“don’t need to be impartial at all”

Thanks for confirming that your article is fuelled by bitterness than actual fact. harry was moaning about the international fixture not the CL. Also it’s worth pointing out to you that Wenger consistently moans about domestic fixtures.

Scum.

• wondrinfree

July 30, 2010 at 3:06 pm

On what basis would anyone be bitter towards you Spuds for, least of all us Gooners? Surely you would have to have something over us to be bitter about?

Perhaps you are confusing bitterness for derision, contempt and generally mocking at your wild and unfulfilled boasts of overtaking us every year, your continuous hypocritical sneering at everything we do, only to try and copy later.

19. Sid

July 30, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Haha! Brilliant article!

Arry whining and whinging to the media for a good 10 minuites about how his poor little club cannot handle a few friendlies and then have ti play the champions league qualifiers AS WELL??? OMG! Didnt they realise this? And if he has nothing to do with organising, or being made aware of the friendlies, then he should be sakced for negligence!

Then again, given the fickloe nature of spuds, they will be calling for his head before the season ends.

I bet Arry is praying that the spuds get knocked out of the Champs league as soon as possible so they can concentrate on the league and trying to finish 4th again!

How embarrassing!

20. Jack

July 30, 2010 at 1:47 pm

As it says above you are a f****** idiot, he was complaining about the needless international friendly when all we need is to train together rather than play and recover… Another site and ITK I shan’t bother to read next time.

• Fab4

July 30, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Its not MY site, i am an Arsenal contributor. If you want to write about Spurs, contact the admin team.

21. Steve

July 30, 2010 at 1:48 pm

“Actually, you only believe it’s based on the England friendly because that’s what Sky Sports News tell you”

No. We have chosen to believe Sky because they have the actual video of him talking about it. We have chosen not to believe you because you have already accepted you are not impartial. You are just some dickhead who is trying to avoid reading about the news your captain desperately wants to leave by focusing on a complete non-issue.

• Fab4

July 30, 2010 at 1:51 pm

On the Sky Sports News website, they only have a video, which has been edited to only shown him talking about the England game. The FULL video shows him complaining about ALL the fixtures.

• Sid

July 30, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Haha! Oh dear, you bitter little fool! he had a good old moan about the chaps league fixtures, the friendlies his OWN club organised AND the England game.

But keep sticking your head in the sand.

22. Beadle

July 30, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Re: Gooner Jipp
    “Your Players want to play for us,”
    Really? Which ones? If you’re going to cite Campbell then you’re going back a bit far, aren’t you? I would explain the word “cite”, but I fear it would be a wasted effort.

“We won 13 league titles to your ????”
    I’ll give you that one. We haven’t won as many league titles.

“We won european trophies to your ?????”
    ….. European Trophies? Quick lesson: 1st British club to win a major European competition? Spurs. 1st British club to win two different major European competition? Spurs. And there’ve been others since then. I love people who don’t check any facts before they spout rubbish. Well done. Really. You can’t see me, but I’m applauding you.

“We have more loyal fans,”
    I don’t know on what basis you’ve decided that. Considering Spurs sell out WHL every match, and have a 23,000-long waiting list for season tickets, I’d say they’ve a few loyal fans. Or are you harking back to the days when some of your fans had to travel up from Woolwich after you decided to move? I’m not saying Arsenal don’t have loyal fans, but how have you decided they’re more loyal than Spurs? Just the insight of a genius?

“We are ina more expensive part of North London then you”
    Yes. That’s because we started in North London, and didn’t re-locate to sunnier climes when Woolwich became too unattractive.

“We are richer than you”
    Barely. You could have thrown that accusation at most of the other clubs in the Premiership, but in terms of financial stability (or the criteria that Platini is laying down for European competition), Arsenal and Spurs were no.s 1 & 2 in the league. And that’s without us having ever played in the Champions League. I’m not saying we will pass you in the next couple of years financially, but we might.

“Your manager is made of Wax where as our is mad of Gold.
    Wankers”
    I don’t need to say much more, do I? I could judge the merits of the content, the grammar or the spelling. But really, I think you’ve said enough for both of us. Don’t you? Go and have a sit down. That must have tired you out.

As to the article itself, I’d say it was a bit intentionally anti-Spurs, but it’s not helped by being based on a corrupted version of Harry’s press conference. If you actually saw him speak un-edited, you’d know that his focus was entirely on the stupidly-timed international break. He hasn’t started whingeing about being in the CL. I know he says a lot of crap at times, but even he’s not that stupid.

But that’s the real difference between our managers (not the incredibly intelligent wax vs gold thing). ‘Arry say what he sees, and sometimes what he thinks he’s seen. Wenger just says he hasn’t seen anything (at least as far as any fouls committed by his players).

• Sid

July 30, 2010 at 1:58 pm

You’ve obviously got too much time on your hands!

• Beadle

July 30, 2010 at 2:03 pm

No, just clearly the share of brain-cells that were missing from the Jipp and yourself.

• GoonerJake

July 30, 2010 at 4:07 pm

We sell out a far bigger stadium every week and have a season ticket waiting list of over 40,000, so yes, we have a larger more loyal fanbase

23. Steve

July 30, 2010 at 1:51 pm

“The Yids are morans”

Anyone else notice the irony? What is moran Jippo?

24. Steve

July 30, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Wrong again idiot. He was saying he already has enough on his plate (listing our fixtures) without having this pointless friendly in-between.

Why does this matter concern you?

• Sid

July 30, 2010 at 1:57 pm

You obviously havent seen the full interview, but I aint surprised, coz its hilariously embarrassing and must be totally cringe making for spuds!!

• Fab4

July 30, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I found it funny, as an Arsenal fan, that the Spuds boss was already complaining about fixture pile-ups. Shows his inexperience in Champs League football. Wait until you have to play an FA Cup semi on Sunday, Champs League Semi on the Wednesday then a title decider on the Saturday. Fortunately you will never know that feeling.

25. arsenal and proud

July 30, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Gooner Jipp, I am also an Arsenal supporter , but you are a complete embarassement to us you f**king retard. You go on about “Walking around Tottenham with your willy hanging out” but I am willing to bet my house that you don’t have a willy, just shit for brains. F**k off and support someone else you moron.

26. Steve

July 30, 2010 at 2:07 pm

So you find that funny that a manager rightly questions the point of an international fixture yet you understand your manager’s “Drogba did nothing in the game” (he scored two goals) comment. You’re a fool and how this bitter jealously got published, I will never know.

27. Nashy

July 30, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Your all boring me! Yawn!!!

28. Alex

July 30, 2010 at 2:31 pm

LOL Gooner Jipp – You really do radiate with all the hallmarks of an Arsenal fan. The club might have more money, and they might be in a more affluent area (after flee’ing).

But you my friend, fit in none of the above. I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and sh*t a more coherent sentence than you ever will.

Alex

29. Mike

July 30, 2010 at 2:50 pm

In all fairness, Harry’s main gripe was that the international friendly allowed him one afternoon to prepare for the first fixture, as at least 5 first teamers will not train from the saturday through the the following friday. How he expects players to get in the right frame of mind, tactically and fitness wise when he cant even speak to or see them is crazy. As for the “loyal” Arsenal fans having a dig at harry, over the last few years i have seen little to no articles on spurs sites even mentioning Arsenal (with the exception of the 5-1 and the dicking at the lane) and have found countless arsenal sites having a dig at spurs, mentioning the fact that we havnt actually qualified yet and digs at our possible transfer targets, all of which are blown up by the media. Is it that the realisation of never being able to beat chelsea or man u in terms of stature and glory have made you resort to slagging off teams below you, hidden in your delusion as your ship slowly sinks. In the meanwhile, Cesc is on a lifeboat heading straight to spain. And by the way, an interview with Carlos Puyol revealled that Fabragas has admitted to him his heart is with barcelona. But you may not get to see that part as the tabloids have only shown segments from the interview (much like harrys 😉 ) Our players are signing fresh new deals and yours are booking plane tickets out of the immigrants stadium. Enjoy your last season of Champions League fooball, you confused, deluded, clueless Goons.

30. RossyB

July 30, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Spurs fans, you do know the Carling Cup doesn’t count as a trophy right??

• Yid 87

July 30, 2010 at 10:05 pm

You Gooners do realise not winning anything in the past 5 years should be classed as a failure.
      You are a team who have not moved up in the league and your best players are leaving. Wenger is looking for 4 defenders (quoted from your own website). S o where are your defenders from last year. They all left on frees. Gallas, Senderos, even Campbell chose Newcastle over you. And I can’t see 4 defenders gelling particularly well at the start of the season. Even your captain wants out. Surely football is just getting boring for you lot no trophies, same league positions. BORING! At least we’re on the way up.