Arsene Wenger Offers Injury Update On Francis Coquelin

By on March 1, 2015

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has offered an injury update on midfielder Francis Coquelin after he was forced off with a nose injury during our 2-0 win over Everton on Sunday afternoon.

Coquelin was having a fine game in the middle of the park but was left in agony midway through the second half after being caught on the nose by team mate Olivier Giroud.

The Frenchman received lengthy treatment as his nose was pouring with blood but he bravely carried on until he was eventually forced off with five minutes left after aggravating the injury having taken a ball to the face.

Speaking to Arsenal.com after the game, Arsene has confirmed Coquelin has broken his nose but isn’t sure how long the midfielder will be out for or whether he’ll need to undergo surgery.

The boss said:

on Francis Coquelin…

Yes [he has broken his nose]. I don’t know [how long he will be out], I hope not. I don’t know whether he will need surgery or not.

on whether it was Coquelin’s decision to stay on…

They told me he was bleeding but that he could stay on. The second time he was hit again so after that I had to take him off. I had been told by the medical people that he could stay on.

on Coquelin’s commitment…

He wanted to stay on. He didn’t play here for a long time so now that he plays, of course he doesn’t want to come off the pitch.

Coquelin will now be a major doubt for our trip to Loftus Road to face Queens Park Rangers on Wednesday but even if he does require surgery, usually players can play on with broken noses if they use a face mask, so hopefully he won’t be on the sidelines for too long.

Mathieu Flamini returned to full training on Friday so he should be available to come in on Wednesday but hopefully Coquelin could be back in contention for our FA Cup clash at Man Utd next Monday.

Best of the web

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *