Arsenal Willing To Break Transfer Record To Sign Attacker Ahead Of Liverpool
Arsenal are ready to smash their transfer record to land Liverpool target Marco Reus this summer with Arsene Wenger willing to table a £48m offer
With the summer transfer window in full swing, managers are working hard trying to strengthen their squads ahead of next season so we’ll bring you all the news and gossip. Today, Arsenal are linked with Marco Reus….
Arsenal are ready to smash their transfer record to land Liverpool target Marco Reus this summer with Arsene Wenger willing to test Borussia Dortmund’s resolve with a £48m offer, according to the Daily Star.
The Gunners have been pretty quiet in the transfer market so far with Petr Cech Wenger’s only significant new addition this summer but that could be about to change over the next few weeks if rumours are to be believed.
The Daily Star are citing a report that originates from SportBild which claims that Arsenal are targetting a move for Marco Reus and are ready to break their transfer record to take the German international to the Emirates.
The newspaper suggests that Liverpool have also been showing a keen interest in Reus this summer but Arsenal are supposedly willing to test Borussia Dortmund’s resolve with a £48m offer – which would easily eclipse the £42.5m they paid for Mesut Ozil two years ago.
Reus joined Dortmund in 2012 and has developed in to one of the most feared attackers in European football having scored 53 goals in 119 appearances so it’s no surprise the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool are sniffing around.
This report from SportBild comes shortly after the Telegraph reported that the Gunners were ready to try and hijack Liverpool’s attempts to sign the 26-year-old after Brendan Rodgers’ side had supposedly held preliminary talks with Dortmund over a potential deal.
Obviously it would be a major coup for either of the Premier League duo if they could lure Reus to England this summer and I’m sure Dortmund may be tempted to cash-in if an offer of £48m was put on the table.
However, while Reus is said to be flattered by the interest being shown in him, his agency recently told the press that the attacker has decided to remain at Dortmund. His representatives were quoted as saying by the Daily Star:
“We read the rumours that are circulating about an alleged transfer for Marco.
“We can say with certainty that the player is having a wonderful time at Dortmund. He is flattered by the interest of many European teams but he’s recently decided to stay in Dortmund.”
So unless the player has a change of heart, it looks as though Reus will be staying in Germany leaving Arsenal and Liverpool having to look elsewhere for a big-name attacker signing this summer.
/ 4 hours ago
Liverpool welcome Chelsea to Anfield in the Premier League this evening. Here is our...
/ 22 hours ago
Chelsea take on Liverpool at Anfield on Thursday night. Here is the team we...