Chelsea Release Official Statement On Jose Mourinho’s Future
Chelsea have given Jose Mourinho the dreaded vote of confidence as speculation over his future intensified following Saturday’s 3-1 defeat to Southampton.
Chelsea have given Jose Mourinho the dreaded vote of confidence as speculation over his future at Stamford Bridge intensified following Saturday’s 3-1 defeat to Southampton.
The Blues have endured their worst start to a Premier League season in over 20 years with the home loss to Southampton at the weekend their fourth defeat in just eight games so far.
The poor run of results have left the defending champions sitting 16th in the table while they also slumped to a disappointing 2-1 loss at FC Porto in the Champions League last week, so speculation over Mourinho’s future has been intensifying.
The Saints defeat prompted the Blues boss to go on a seven-minute rant after the game where he insisted he wasn’t about to walk away before he later admitted that he would quit if the players made it clear they no longer trusted him.
Mourinho is quoted as saying by the Express.
“People can say what they want. People should ask the players and not go with fake sources,” he said.
“Go straight to the players. If they tell you they don’t trust me, that is the only thing that can make me resign.”
Chelsea have now responded by releasing an official statement on Chelseafc.com where they acknowledge that performances on the pitch haven’t been good enough but they insist Mourinho still has the full support of the club.
The statement said:
The club wants to make it clear that Jose continues to have our full support.
As Jose has said himself, results have not been good enough and the team’s performances must improve. However, we believe that we have the right manager to turn this season around and that he has the squad with which to do it.
The dreaded ‘vote of confidence’ is another sign that the pressure is mounting on Mourinho and he’s clearly feeling the strain, with bookmakers making him the second-favourite to get sacked behind Newcastle’s Steve McClaren.
However, the international has probably come at the perfect time as he can re-group before Chelsea’s next game against Aston Villa on October 17, where he’ll be expecting a response from his players following their disappointing recent form.
/ 2 hours ago
Manchester United are in talks with Barcelona over a potential deal to sign Ousmane...
/ 7 hours ago
Liverpool are trying to thrash out personal terms with Ismaila Sarri’s agent after agreeing...