Connect with us


Chelsea Launch £39m Midfielder Bid After Liverpool See Their Offer Rejected

Chelsea have launched a £39m bid to sign Sporting Lisbon midfielder Joao Mario after Liverpool saw their £33.5m offer rejected. See full details here

The summer transfer window is in full swing so we’ll bring you all the latest transfer rumours and gossip from around the globe. Today, Chelsea have made their move for Joao Mario….

Chelsea have launched a £39m bid to sign Sporting Lisbon midfielder Joao Mario after Liverpool saw their £33.5m offer rejected earlier in the summer, according to the Daily Star.

Mario has developed in to one of the best midfielders in Portuguese football since becoming a regular with Sporting in 2014 and he continued his fine form in to this summers European Championships where he helped Portugal secure a shock win.

The 23-year-old’s potential has caught the attention of some of Europe’s top clubs with the Express reporting last week that Liverpool were lining-up a fresh offer after seeing their opening £33.5m offer rejected earlier in the summer.

Jurgen Klopp has been extremely active in the transfer market this summer but with Joe Allen joining Stoke and Lucas Leiva also tipped to leave, the Liverpool boss may be looking to further strengthen his midfield options with Mario seemingly on his radar.

However, it looks like Chelsea have stolen a march on their Premier League rivals as the Daily Star are now citing reports coming out of Portugal that claim the Blues have submitted a £39m bid for Mario’s services.

The information comes from Portuguese newspaper Jornal De Noticias and they suggest that while Inter Milan have also tabled a formal offer for the midfielder, Sporting are ready to accept Chelsea’s proposal because they are willing to pay more of the fee up front.

Antonio Conte has already hinted that he expects further new arrivals before the close of the window and Mario would be an excellent addition to the Chelsea squad as he’s capable of playing anywhere across the midfield positions.

READ MORE –> Chelsea transfer news | Liverpool transfer news

However, any potential move to Stamford Bridge could be complicated by the fact that Sporting only own 75% of Mario’s economic rights with the remaining 25% held by the Quality Football Ireland Ltd. group, so both parties will have to agree upon any deal.



  1. Jason

    August 12, 2016 at 12:55 pm

    Ah well a good effort but once the big spenders enter the arena Anfield has no chance.

  2. Julius Chigwegwe

    August 12, 2016 at 1:40 pm

    Chelsea is taking time to sign players. Chelsea needs to sort out centre back and forward problems before 13 August 2016. Now they are going to start as they were last season with the same centre back which is leaking.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Other News

More in Chelsea