Liverpool Boss Confirms 29-Year-Old Will Face Burnley + Attacker Could Also Return
Jurgen Klopp has confirmed Simon Mignolet will start against Burnley tomorrow while a Liverpool attacker could also be in-line for a recall.
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has confirmed that Simon Mignolet will return in goal against Burnley while Philippe Coutinho is also in contention to start this weekend.
Mignolet was left out of Liverpool’s Champions League group stage opener against Sevilla on Wednesday night with Loris Karius keeping goal during the 2-2 draw at Anfield.
Klopp has suggested that Karius will be selected throughout their European campaign this season as he needs to give the talented German stopper game-time in order to help his development.
However, the Reds boss insists Mignolet is still considered as his first choice goalkeeper and confirmed the 29-year-old Belgian international will return between the sticks for the visit of Burnley tomorrow.
When asked if Mignolet will play on Saturday, Klopp is quoted as saying by the Mirror:
“Of course. I am the boss and I decide things like this and the player has to take it. We need strong goalkeepers and every year we cannot find a new No 2 or No 3.
“We have young goalkeepers at the best age and all are ready to play so we have to use this situation for the good of the club and the team and they take it.
“No-one came in my office and said ‘Boss you are a ****’ or whatever. I did it and I will do it again. Simon Mignolet is No 1. At the end of the season he will have played 85% to 87% of games.”
Philippe Coutinho came off the bench during Liverpool’s 2-2 draw in midweek and Klopp has now hinted that the attacker could be ready to make his first start of the campaign.
Coutinho failed to feature during the early stages of the season amid speculation linking him with a move to Barcelona but the Brazilian international is now in contention to start with Sadio Mane due to begin his three-match ban.
Klopp told Liverpoolfc.com:
“It’s not the moment where I talk about the line-up of tomorrow, but he [Coutinho] should be ready.
“It was really nice how the crowd welcomed him [against Sevilla]. Nobody was 100 per cent sure about this, but I am really happy that we were, as a Liverpool family, sensitive enough to do it exactly like this. I think it was good for him.
“How I’ve said, he has trained outstanding in the few sessions we’ve had so far together since he was back.
“The game was not perfect of course, but that’s how it is after a long break. It helped him and helped us and for sure he is ready for us to think about [to start].”
Liverpool will have been disappointed to let slip two points in the Champions League group stages on Wednesday night but they also need to bounce back in the Premier League after being thrashed 5-0 at Man City last weekend so Klopp will be determined to beat Burnley tomorrow afternoon.
/ 3 hours ago
Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel has confirmed that Christian Pulisic is the only absentee ahead...
/ 12 hours ago
A selection of Arsenal fans on Twitter have urged manager Mikel Arteta to start...