Chelsea Set To Trump Liverpool & Tottenham To Signing Of £70m Attacker In January

By on November 17, 2018

The transfer window is closed but managers are planning ahead for January and next summer so we’ll bring you all the latest gossip. Today, Chelsea are closing-in on Christian Pulisic….

Christian-Pulisic

Chelsea are trying to trump Liverpool and Tottenham by securing a deal to sign £70m-rated Borussia Dortmund attacker Christian Pulisic this winter, according to the Daily Mail.

Pulisic has become one of the most exciting young talents in European football since joining Dortmund from PA Classics in 2015 but his long-term future at the Westfalonstadion is in serious doubt as his contract expires in 2020 and the attacker has shown no sign that he’s ready to commit himself to the club.

The 20-year-old’s potential has caught the attention of a number of clubs and the Daily Mail claim that Liverpool and Tottenham are among those to have shown a keen interest in signing Pulisic in recent times.

Jurgen Klopp already has one of the best attacks in world football at his disposal but the Reds boss knows he needs to further strengthen if Liverpool are to compete on all fronts and Pulisic would provide excellent competition for the likes of Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah.

Mauricio Pochettino failed to make any new additions to his squad in the summer but the Tottenham manager is still keeping a close eye on the market as he looks to make the north Londoners genuine title contenders and Pulisic is seemingly on his radar.

However, Liverpool and Spurs could be set for disappointment as the Daily Mail claims that Chelsea look to have won the race to sign Pulisic as they’re pushing to get a deal wrapped-up ahead of the January window.

The newspaper says Dortmund realise they need to cash-in on the USA international before his value drops any further due to his contract situation and they could agree a deal worth around £70m this winter – although Chelsea may look to drive that price down.

The West Londoners are facing the threat of a transfer ban from FIFA due to their alleged recruitment of under-age players so it looks like Chelsea are hoping to push through a deal for Pulisic before any proposed ban is imposed.

The American has seen his place in the Dortmund starting eleven come under serious threat from Jadon Sancho this season and just last week he confirmed he’d like to test himself in the Premier League.

Pulisic is quoted as saying by the Daily Mail:

‘England, the Premier League, is where lots of kids dream of playing so there is no reason why one day I won’t play here,’

‘We are having a great year at Dortmund and I am enjoying every moment of that. Then when the time comes for me to talk in the breaks about my future, that’s when those things will happen.’

Maurizio Sarri already has Eden Hazard, Willian and Pedro to fill his attacking midfield positions as well as highly-rated youngster Callum Hudson-Odio but the report says Pulisic would be seen as an addition to those players, not a replacement.

We’ll have to wait and see how things develop over the coming weeks but it would be a major coup for Chelsea if they do end up beating Liverpool and Tottenham to the signing of Pulisic this winter.

Best of the web

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *