Tottenham boss makes decision after Levy sanctions deal to sign £50m Arsenal target

By on January 31, 2019

Transfer deadline day is here and managers are working hard to strengthen their squad with last minute deals and identifying targets for the summer so we’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest rumours. Today, the latest on Malcom….

Mauricio Pochettino has turned down the opportunity to sign Malcom despite Tottenham chiefs sanctioning a late move for the Barcelona attacker, according to The Sun.

Malcom made his name during an impressive spell at Bordeaux and turned down a host of Premier League clubs in order to join Barcelona last summer but his time at the Nou Camp hasn’t gone to plan.

The Brazilian attacker has struggled to establish himself under Ernesto Valverde having made just 1 La Liga start so far this season and it’s led to speculation he’ll be on the move this winter in search of regular football.

The situation alerted Arsenal as The Sun reported last weekend that the Gunners had enquired about taking Malcom on loan with the option to sign him for £50m at the end of the season as Unai Emery looks to bolster his attacking options.

A proposed deal has been put on hold with Arsenal also eyeing Ivan Perisic and Yannick Carrasco and The Sun says Barcelona offered Tottenham the chance to sign Malcom on an initial loan deal this month.

Mauricio Pochettino tottenham

The newspaper says Spurs chairman Daniel Levy was willing to sanction the deal but boss Mauricio Pochettino has turned down the opportunity to sign the South American attacker.

Pochettino has seen his squad hit by injuries to Dele Alli and Harry Kane so Malcom could have given Tottenham another top class option in attack if he’d made a move to north London but the Spurs boss doesn’t see him as an improvement on the players currently available.

READ –> Arsenal transfer news | Spurs transfer news

As it stands, Malcom is set to stay at Barcelona until at least the end of the season unless Arsenal resurrect their interest in the Brazilian forward during the closing hours of the window.

Loading...

3 Comments

  1. Tony Borg

    January 31, 2019 at 10:45 am

    It’s a replacement for Dembele that is priority, so who is going to come in? enough are moving out. Just that little bit of investment needed again, third in the league within touching distance, are we going to be let down once more by Levy and Co. LEVY OUT is gathering momentum.

    • Woodsy

      January 31, 2019 at 11:25 am

      It seems pretty clear it’s Poch, not Levy who doesn’t want to sign anyone.

      The ‘Levy Out’ brigade have been there for years and regardless of our progress continue to find reasons for blaming him when things go against us.

      As the article (and numerous others) suggest, Levy has made cash available this month, rebuilt the infrastructure of the club including new training facilities and the stadium, and on top of all that, put together a very good all round squad.

      I agree we need to strengthen in central midfield and would add both full back positions but I don’t get the hate for Levy/ENIC. They could’ve done some things better but on balance have done a great job.

      • Yido

        January 31, 2019 at 12:05 pm

        Woodsy, thank you for giving me hope that there are some other Spurs fans out there that understand what’s going on. Poch is one of the most stubborn managers when it comes to signing players. Each player that comes in must tick all the boxes and if they don’t then he doesn’t want them regardless of who they are. Levy has done wonders for the club and has shown he is willing to spend to an extent i.e Sanchez. He won’t however give everyone 250k a week though as it’s not sustainable until everything falls into place with the stadium etc

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *