Arsenal Receive Double Boost As Duo Commit Future To Club
Arsenal have received a double boost with Laurent Koscielny and Bacary Sagna telling boss Arsene Wenger that they will be staying at the club this summer.
With the summer transfer window set to open, there is plenty of gossip doing the rounds in the newspapers so we’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest transfer rumours. Today, Arsenal receive a double boost.
Some positive news circulating today Gooners with the Daily Mail one of several news outlets reporting that Laurent Koscielny and Bacary Sagna have made it clear to boss Arsene Wenger that they will be staying at the club this summer.
Speculation has been rife in recent weeks that the French pair could be on their way out the Emirates exit door this summer. The Mail report that right-back Sagna had been expected to leave after failing to agree terms over an extension to his contract – which has just 12 months left to run – with PSG and Anzhi Mackhachkala among the clubs showing an interest in the 30-year-old.
However, the newspaper claims that Sagna has now told Wenger he will stay with the club for at least another 12 months, despite no contract extension being agreed as yet. If we decide to keep the former Auxerre man, we risk losing him for nothing next summer if we can’t get him to pen a new deal, so some fans may think it’s best to cash in now and replace him – particularly given the poor form the Frenchman showed during the closing stages of last season.
I personally would like to see Sagna stay as he will provide us with vital experience in defence and he can help Carl Jenkinson develop, as I don’t feel the youngster is ready to command a regular first team birth just yet.
The situation with Koscielny was beginning to look slightly concerning with the defender recently quoted as saying he may look for a move to win silverware if we didn’t match his ambition, with the Mail suggesting the likes of Bayern Munich and Barcelona have short-listed the 27-year-old as a potential summer recruit.
However, the newspaper are also reporting that Kos has now told Wenger his future is with Arsenal and he won’t be pushing for a move this summer. I never really thought Koscielny would leave, mainly because he still has four years left on his contract, but it’s good to hear that he’s committed to the club ahead of next season.
He really became a key player during the final few months of last season and his impressive partnership alongside Per Mertesacker at the back was a huge contributing factor in us beating Tottenham to fourth spot, so it would have been a massive blow if we sold him this summer.
Read more Arsenal transfer news
What do you think of this news Arsenal fans? Are you happy to hear Sagna and Koscielny want to stay? Get involved in the comments section below.
/ 4 hours ago
Chelsea are in Russia to take on Krasnodar in the Champions League on Wednesday...
/ 4 hours ago
Manchester United welcome RB Leipzig to Old Trafford on Wednesday night. Here is the...