Connect with us

Liverpool

Liverpool Dealt Blow As Brazilian Rules Out Anfield Switch

Liverpool have been dealt a blow in their pursuit of Brazilian striker Diego Costa after the 24-year-old insisted he’s happy to remain at Atletico Madrid.

With the summer transfer window now open, there is plenty of gossip doing the rounds in the newspapers so we’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest transfer rumours. Today, Diego Costa rules out leaving Atletico Madrid.

Liverpool have been dealt a blow in their pursuit of Brazilian striker Diego Costsa after the player insisted he’s happy to remain at Atletico Madrid, according to the Mirror.

Widespread reports last week suggested that Liverpool had tabled an offer worth £21.8m for the 24-year-old – which would have automatically triggered the players release clause – with boss Brendan Rodgers believed to have identified Costa as a potential replacement for want-away striker Luis Suarez.

However, the Brazilian international has insisted he knows nothing of Liverpool’s interest and claims he is happy to remain with Atletico as long as the club want him. When asked about reported interest from Liverpool when he returned to Madrid from the clubs pre-season tour of South America, the striker said:

“I’m well here, I’m happy here. As I’ve been in Argentina and Uruguay, I’ve not heard anything about this [Liverpool’s interest].

“I’m happy here, if the club want me to be here, I’m going to be here.

“I think that the coach (Diego Simeone) counts on all of us, not just me. He knows how important it is to maintain the squad, the fans know it as well.” Costa is quoted as saying by the Mirror

Costa was in excellent form last season, scoring 20 goals in 44 games to help Atletico to a third placed finish in the La Liga table. He was expected to take on the goal-scoring burden after Radamel Falcao was sold to Monaco but Madrid have since brought in strikers David Villa and youngster Leo Baptisto putting his future in doubt.

Liverpool were keen on bringing him to the Premier League this summer but it seems the striker is happy at the Vicente Calderón Stadium and willing to fight for his place in the team.

Read more Liverpool transfer news

Are Liverpool fans disappointed that Costa is happy at Madrid? Would you like to see him come to Anfield? Share your views below.

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Gregory Mutua

    August 6, 2013 at 12:18 pm

    Liverpool are just playing mind games with the fans and will not bring in not even one quality player and to make even worse, sell Suarez at the last minute.
    Why can’t FNG just sell this club to someone that knows football? Just look at the calibre of players Spurs are signing, look at Everton, Swansea, Southampton. As things look at this minute Liverpool will struggle to even get 8th position because that just 7 sides ahead of us and not counting one or two surprise teams like Newcastle and even Stoke.
    The reality will dawn when this bubble we are in right now is burst open by Stoke on that opening day fixture, at Anfield. Then get Man utd on the 3rd weekend. Who knows we may even ship 8 goals like Arsenal played around instead of signing layers 2 summers ago.
    It was said early on that Liverpool had £20 mil for this summer transfer window and this is the case.. That’s why they now talk of loaning players and buy next summer. These owners need to go!!!!!!! ASAP ACTUALLY NOW!!!!!!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Other News

More in Liverpool