Transfer Gossip: Man Utd Join Chelsea In Chase For Cameroonian Hitman
Premier League champions Manchester United have joined rivals Chelsea in the race to sign Anzhi Makhachakla striker Samuel Eto’o, according to the Mirror.
With the summer transfer window in full swing, there is plenty of gossip doing the rounds in the newspapers so we’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest transfer rumours. Today, have Man Utd joined Chelsea in the race to sign Samuel Eto’o?
Manchester United have joined Chelsea in the race to sign Anzhi Makhachakla striker Samuel Eto’o, according to the Mirror.
The 32-year-old former Barcelona hitman has been made available for transfer this summer along with the rest of the Anzhi squad after the clubs Russian owner, Suleyman Kerimov, pulled the plug on his extravagant spending.
Eto’o was quoted last week as saying he’d love to link up with former boss Jose Mourinho again at Chelsea after winning the Champions League with the Portuguese coach at Inter Milan in 2010.
‘There is only one Jose Mourinho. I have played under a lot of great coaches – but there is no other character in the game like Jose.
‘He is one of the best coaches in the world – and we had a lot of success together at Inter Milan. I would like to have the chance to play under him again – because it is never boring when Jose is around.
‘Of course Chelsea are a great team – and when we have all the offers on the table then I will discuss with my agent and see what my next step is.’ Eto’o is quoted as saying by the Daily Mail
The Mirror claim the Blues have identified the Cameroonian hitman as a potential alternative to Wayne Rooney, with Manchester United seemingly determined not to sell the unsettled striker this summer.
However, an apparent ‘source’ close to Eto’o has told the newspaper that United are also showing an interest in his services along with Italian duo Napoli and Inter Milan.
This information could be accurate, but it could also be seen as a ploy to try and force Chelsea to make their move for the striker. United do not need another forward this summer, unless of course they sell one of their current crop, so a move for Eto’o would be surprising.
The player is on huge wages at Anzhi but his agent, Claudio Vigorelli, told the Mirror that his client is willing to take a pay cut to push through a move to Stamford Bridge and claims that ‘positive’ talks with the west Londoners took place over the past few days. Although there are no quotes to confirm these claims.
Eto’o was no doubt a deadly striker in his prime but he’s now the wrong side of 30 and has spent the last 18 months playing in the Russian league, so you may question whether he’d be able to cut it in the Premier League these days.
Would you like to see Eto’o join your club? Share your views below.
/ 13 hours ago
Manchester United will be looking to reclaim top spot with a win when they...
/ 13 hours ago
Liverpool take on Burnley at Anfield on Thursday night. Here is the team we...