Chelsea To Offer Former Liverpool Ace 3-Year Contract But Balotelli Move Unlikely
Jose Mourinho wants to sign former Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso on a free transfer next summer but a move for AC Milan striker Mario Balotelli is unlikely
Although the summer transfer window is officially closed that doesn’t stop clubs working hard behind the scenes to prepare for future signings, so we’ll keep you up-to-date with all the latest gossip. Today, Chelsea are linked with Xabi Alonso.
Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho wants to sign Real Madrid midfielder Xabi Alonso on a free transfer next summer but a move for AC Milan striker Mario Balotelli is unlikely, according to the Mirror.
Alonso is in the final year of his contract at the Bernabeu and is yet to find an agreement over an extension leading to talk of a return to the Premier League.
The Spanish midfielder spent a successful five-year stint at Liverpool between 2004-2009 where he helped the Merseysiders lift the Champions League, but he could be set to make a move to rivals Chelsea if reports are to be believed.
The Mirror claim that Jose Mourinho – who worked with the 31-year-old during his time at Madrid – wants to lure the midfielder to Stamford Bridge and is ready to offer him a 3-year deal in the hope he’ll sign a pre-contract agreement in January.
Liverpool remain close to the players heart and it remains to be seen whether Brendan Rodgers would be interested if Alonso does decide to return to England, but it seems he’d face stiff competition from Chelsea and Mourinho is he is.
However, while Alonso may be on his radar the newspaper suggests that the Portuguese coach is unlikely to make attempts to sign Mario Balotelli in January, despite hints from the players agent that there could be interest from west London.
The Italian striker only joined AC Milan from Manchester City in January but was understood to be angered by recent comments from manager Massimiliano Allegri who said he wasn’t scared of losing the striker this winter because he’s not playing well.
“I have absolutely no fear of losing Balotelli in January.
“He is a Milan player who is now living in a time when he’s not playing well.” Allegri is quoted as saying by the Mirror.
The 23-year-old’s agent, Mino Raiola, stirred speculation that he could be reunited with Mourinho at Chelsea when he said on Tuesday:
“Balotelli and Mourinho could be reunited because they know each other and they didn’t leave each other with hate.” Raiola is quoted as saying by the Mirror.
A new striker could be on the agenda for the Blues when the transfer window re-opens but the Mirror suggest a move for Balotelli is highly unlikely with Mourinho previously slamming the striker as ‘unmanageable” after a number of bust-ups during their time together at Inter Milan.
What do Chelsea fans make of this? Would you like to see Alonso sign for the club? Would you go for Balotelli? Share your views below.
/ 3 hours ago
Arsenal take on Everton at the Emirates Stadium this evening. Here is our preview...
/ 20 hours ago
Arsenal take on Everton at the Emirates Stadium on Friday evening. Here is the...