Connect with us

International Football

World Cup Predictions Groups C & D: Will It Be Italy Or Uruguay Who Crashes Out?

Here, we make our predictions for what will happen in tonight’s final World Cup group games in Groups C and D, where England will finish up against Costa Rica

The final round of World Cup group matches are now well under way with Brazil, Mexico, Holland and Chile all safely through to the knockout stages. Here, we’ll make our predictions for what will happen in tonight’s final games in Groups C and D.

Group C

Japan 0-2 Colombia: Group C is widely regarded as one of the weakest in this years tournament but despite the relatively poor standard of opposition, the Colombians have still impressed with their adventurous attacking football.

With victories over Greece and the Ivory Coast already in the bag, Colombia take on Japan tonight having already booked their place in the next round and need just a point to ensure they finish top.

The South American’s will take on Japan who currently sit third on just 1 point, so they are the heavy favourites and I fully expect José Pékerman’s men to make it a maximum three wins from three tonight.

Greece 0-1 Ivory Coast: The Ivorian’s head into the final game favourites to join Colombia in the knockout phase, with Betegy predicting they have a 50% chance compared to the 31% of Greece and 19% of Japan.

The Elephants sit second on three points and as long as Japan don’t beat Colombia, a draw will be good enough to see them through. However, I think Didier Drogba’s men will collect all three points to secure qualification with minimal fuss.

Group D

Costa Rica 1-1 England: As predicted, Group D has certainly lived up to it’s bill as a ‘group of death’ and sadly for England fans, the Three Lions have crashed out after just two games following defeats to Italy and Uruguay. Therefore, pride is all they’ve got left to play for as England take on Costa Rica this evening.

Costa Rica have been the surprise package as nobody would have expected them to be the team who had secured qualification heading in to the final fixture, but that’s exactly what’s happened after shock wins over Italy and Uruguay.

The Costa Ricans will now have their eyes firmly fixed on collecting the point they need to ensure top spot, and I have a feeling they will get it against a second-string England team tonight.

Italy 1-1 Uruguay: This one is finely poised and it really could go either way. Italy currently hold a slight edge as they sit second by a single goal leaving them only needing to avoid defeat to progress to the knockouts, which explains why they have a 53% chance of qualifying compared to Uruguay’s 47%.

With Luis Suarez showing the kind of form that slayed England, anything is possible, but I can see the Italians grinding out the draw they need to sneak it through to the next stage and sending Suarez and co. packing.

What do you think of my predictions? What are your predictions for the games tonight?

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Other News

More in International Football