Arsenal & Liverpool Dealt Blow In Pursuit Of €44m Hitman
Arsenal and Liverpool have been dealt a blow in their pursuit of Jackson Martinez with the €44m hitman revealing that he’s happy to stay at Porto this summer
The summer transfer window is now open for business and it’s expected to be a busy few weeks as managers strengthen their squads ahead of next season, so we’ll bring you all the latest news and gossip. Today, Arsenal and Liverpool are dealt a blow in their pursuit of Jackson Martinez.
Arsenal and Liverpool have been dealt a blow in their pursuit of Jackson Martinez with the €44m-rated hitman revealing that he’s happy to stay at Porto this summer, according to reports in France.
Martinez has continued his fine goal-scoring form in front of goal since making the move to Porto from Mexican side Chiapas two years ago, with 60 goals in just 91 appearances for the Portuguese giants.
His impressive displays have led to interest from all around Europe and Arsenal and Liverpool among the clubs understood to be considering making a formal move for the 27-year-old this summer.
The Gunners in particular have been strongly linked with reports last month suggesting that Arsene Wenger was ready to table a €44m (£35m) bid in order to trigger the Colombian international’s buy-out clause.
Martinez responded to the speculation by talking up a move away from Porto and admitted he’d jump at the chance of making the switch to north London if the opportunity presented itself. Speaking before the World Cup last month, the striker said:
“I know that there have been discussions, but still no agreements.
“My agent is taking care of my future, right now I’m at the World Cup and only after the World Cup I’ll evaluate proposals.
“As a child I cheered for Arsenal, they play a game that suits me. If I had the occasion to play there, I would say yes.” Martinez is quoted as saying by the Express.
However, a bid from Arsenal has failed to materialise and it appears Martinez is now back-tracking over his previous comments. When quizzed about his future this week, the striker now claims he’s happy to stay at Porto and see out the remaining two years of his contract. He told French newspaper Le10 Sport:
“It’s okay to talk about my possible start, I hear the same thing every month.I can concentrate on my work and my club with which I have two year contract,”
“If I’m going to stay here? Yes, for now yes.I do not think about something else, because there is nothing. I never said I was leaving. The club say what it has to say if an offer comes to me. But what I think least about, is to prepare my departure. I’m glad to FC Porto and I hope to stay until the end of my contract,”
The likes of Arsenal and Liverpool may have been hoping that Martinez would try and force a move in order to lower his asking price, but it appears the striker isn’t prepared to rock the boat and with no serious bids forthcoming, he’s now trying to show his loyalty to Porto by declaring he’s happy to stay at the club.
I’m sure he’d soon change his tune again if a big-money bid came in from a club like Arsenal or Liverpool, but with the duo appearing reluctant to meet the players €44m (£35m) clause, a move is unlikely unless Porto reduce the asking price.
/ 21 hours ago
Manchester United take on Burnley at Old Trafford on Sunday afternoon. Here is the...
/ 21 hours ago
Arsenal take on Fulham at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday afternoon. Here is our...