Defender Arrives In Manchester For Medical Ahead Of £31.7m Move After City Agree Deal

By on August 18, 2015

With the summer transfer window approaching it’s climax, managers are working hard trying to strengthen their squads for the new season so we’ll bring you all the news and gossip. Today, Manchester United look set to miss out on Nicolas Otamendi…

Nicolas_Otamendi

Image: Telegraph

Nicolas Otamendi has touched-down in Manchester to undergo a medical ahead of a £31.7m move from Valencia but it’s City, not United, he’ll be joining, according to Sky Sports News.

Otamendi’s future has been the subject of much speculation this summer with the Argentinean international hotly tipped to leave Valencia just 12 months after joining the club from FC Porto.

Manchester United and Manchester City have both been credited with an interest in the 27-year-old with the Express reporting over the weekend that the two clubs had submitted formal offers for his signature.

However, it soon became apparent that City had moved into pole position to secure a deal and now Sky Sports News are claiming that the Citizens have agreed a fee believed to be worth £31.7m with Valencia.

The report states that Otamendi has already arrived in Manchester and will undergo his medical on Tuesday, with the centre-back set to sign a five-year deal at the Etihad Stadium.

The news comes from Sky Sports’ Spanish football expert Guillem Balague, who told the news outlet that City had to find a new agreement after Eliaquim Mangala blocked a proposed loan move to the Mestalla.

“There was a leak from Spain on Friday that a deal had been agreed at €40m and a loan deal for Mangala”, Balague told Sky Sports

“But by the time City had beaten Chelsea on Sunday, Valencia learned that Mangala did want to go to Valencia, or go out on loan, so that meant they had to find another figure and reach another agreement.

“Valencia said that Otamendi has a €50m buy-out clause, but they managed to find common ground at €45m and there are no loan arrangements attached and it has no relation, either, to any money owed for Alvaro Negredo.”

So it appears City are on the verge of wrapping up another big-money signing this summer and I think Otamendi will be an excellent addition for the Premier League leaders as he was one of the best centre-backs in La Liga last season.

However, the news will come as another blow to United as it looks like Louis van Gaal has missed out on another target with Otamendi’s imminent move to City coming just 24 hours after Sergio Ramos signed a new long-term contract with Real Madrid.

READ MORE –> Man Utd transfer news | Man City transfer news

Therefore, the Dutchman is going to have to widen his search even further if he wants to sign a new central defender before the window shuts at the end of the month.

Best of the web

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *