- [Photos] Lazar Markovic Poses In Liverpool Kit After Completing €25m Move
- Chelsea Confirm Signing Of €40m Costa On Five-Year Contract
- [Photo] Fabregas Poses In Chelsea Shirt After Sealing Move + Confirms Arsenal Snub
- Agent Confirms Talks With Arsenal + Man Utd Over €37m Ace
- Chelsea Agree €40m Deal For Spanish Hot-Shot
- Chelsea Agree €91m Deal Following Meeting In London On Thursday
Liverpool Confirm Arsenal’s Bid For Suarez But Insist Player Hasn’t Asked For Move
With the summer transfer window now open, there is plenty of gossip doing the rounds in the newspapers so we’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest transfer rumours. Today, Liverpool confirm Arsenal offer for Suarez.
Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre has confirmed the club have rejected an offer from Premier League rivals Arsenal for striker Luis Suarez and insists the player hasn’t told the club he wants to leave, according to Bloomberg reporter Tariq Panja.
The controversial Uruguayan has been hitting the headlines in recent weeks after doing several interviews in his homeland where he’s been quoted as saying he’d like to leave Anfield for a club playing in the Champions League.
Arsenal have been strongly linked with a move for the 26-year-old and reports circulated last week that suggested they were lining up an improved bid after seeing an opening £30m offer rejected by the Reds, while Chelsea and Real Madrid have also been credited with interest.
Now, managing director Ian Ayre has confirmed in an interview with Bloomberg that the Gunners did in fact table an official bid for Suarez but they rejected it out of hand and insist the striker is yet to tell the club he wants a move this summer:
“I’ve heard him say it would great to have an opportunity to play for Arsenal and likewise Rel Madrid. But he certainly hasn’t called me up and said he wants to leave.
We had an offer which is fairly public from Arsenal. We said no to that offer, and as far as we’re concerned he turns up for training when he’s due back. And we’ll move forward on that basis. .
We get offers for lots of our players at different times. Unless we get to a situation where that player absolutely doesn’t want to be here and we don’t want him to be here then that’s a different kettle of fish. Right now we’d love to see Luis put on a Liverpool shirt for this season and beyond and we hope that once he gets back things will settle down.” Ayre is quoted as saying by Bloombery reporter Taris Panja
It’s an interesting turn of events that Liverpool have decided to confirm Arsenal’s bid in public and it’s difficult to know what to make of it. Rarely do we see clubs talk about transfers in the papers, particularly big-money transfers between rivals, so you wonder why Liverpool have taken the decision to go public on Arsenal’s offer.
It’s also intriguing that Ayre says ‘unless a player absolutely doesn’t want to be here’, which could indicate that Suarez will have to submit a written transfer request in order to push for a move.
Ayre also went on to insist Suarez won’t feel any backlash from the Anfield faithful if he stays, despite his recent comments about wanting to leave the club, and he’s positive the clubs fans will get behind the striker if he’s still with Liverpool when he returns from his ban six games into the new season.
“I don’t think anyone will be against him at this point,”
“He only needs to do what he did last season and everyone will feel he’s in the right place and he should carry on getting the support that he deserves and gets from Liverpool,” Ayre told Bloomberg.
So another twist in the Suarez transfer saga and you still get the feeling this one is going to run for some weeks yet. Will he still be with Liverpool when the window slams shut? Or will the likes of Arsenal or Chelsea be able to lure him away? We’ll have to wait and see….
Where do you think Suarez will be playing his football next season? Share your views in the comments section below.