PFA Chief Claims Luis Suarez Joining Arsenal Is “Practically Impossible”
Professional Footballers’ Association chief executive Gordon Taylor has said it will be “practically impossible” for Luis Suarez to move to Arsenal this summer
With the summer transfer window now open, there is plenty of gossip doing the rounds in the newspapers so we’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest transfer rumours. Today, Gordon Taylor claims it will be impossible for Arsenal to sign Luis Suarez.
Professional Footballers’ Association chief executive Gordon Taylor has said it will be “practically impossible” for Luis Suarez to move to Arsenal this summer, according to the BBC.
Suarez went public with his desire to leave Liverpool earlier this week in a sensational interview with the Telegraph where he accused the Merseysiders of not fulfilling their contractual obligations by allowing him to join Arsenal after they submitted a £40,000,001 bid.
The Uruguayan and his advisers claim they have both a verbal and written agreement that the striker could move to a club in the Champions League this summer – but Liverpool’s interpretation of the clause is very different.
The 26-year-old has called in the help of the PFA to try and settle his dispute with the club and he’s threatened to take his case before a Premier League arbitration hearing if Liverpool don’t allow him to join Arsenal.
However, PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor has warned that a move is “practically impossible” as Liverpool will be left with no time to find a suitable replacement. He told the BBC:
“With the transfer window expiring, the difficulties of not only selling him to a competitor but also replacing him makes it practically impossible,” Taylor said.
“I think it really muddies the waters to have buy-out clauses that are supposed to be confidential between employer and employee,”
“Inevitably that gets out. The drafting of such clauses are far from straight forward.
“These are issues we are going to have to raise with the Premier League at our regular discussions.”
Taylor’s comments come the day after Liverpool owner John W Henry insisted that Suarez will not be sold this summer, saying that the striker wont be sold to Arsenal or any other club at any price, and feels the case is now closed.
It remains to be seen how this news goes down in north London or whether Suarez is now going to accept defeat and remain at Anfield, but you’d think in order for him to do so he’ll have to come out with a public apology.
Of course the striker could push harder for a move by submitting a transfer request and the Gunners could come back in with an improved offer in excess of £50m, which could make Liverpool think twice. So this one might not be over just yet….
Do you think Suarez will leave? Share your views below.
/ 15 hours ago
Arsenal take on Newcastle United at the Emirates Stadium on Monday evening. Here is...
/ 19 hours ago
Liverpool take on Manchester United in a top of the table clash at Anfield...