Klopp Sends ‘Important Message’ To Barca After Liverpool Reject £72m Coutinho Bid

By on July 21, 2017

Managers are now pressing ahead with their plans for the summer transfer window so we’ll bring you all the latest news and gossip from around the globe. Today, the latest on the future of Philippe Coutinho….

liverpool philippe coutinho

Jurgen Klopp has sent a clear message to Barcelona that Philippe Coutinho is not for sale after Liverpool rejected a £72m bid from the Spanish giants.

Coutinho has become a key player for the Reds since joining the club from Inter Milan in January 2013 with the Brazilian international central to Klopp’s starting eleven over the past few years.

The 25-year-old committed his future at Anfield after signing a new five-year contract earlier this year which made Coutinho the highest paid player at the club.

However, this hasn’t deterred Barcelona from making the South American playmaker one of their prime transfer targets this summer and it looks as though the Catalans have formalised their interest.

The Mirror are one of several media outlets reporting that Barca have submitted an opening £72m offer after identifying Coutinho as a potential long-term replacement for Andres Iniesta while Neymar is also being linked with a record move to PSG.

But the newspaper says the bid has been immediately rejected and Liverpool have made it clear to the La Liga giants they have no interest in negotiating a potential deal.

Klopp has been speaking while on Liverpool’s pre-season tour in Hong Kong this morning and the Reds boss has sent a ‘very important message’ to Barca after insisting that Coutinho is not for sale as they are not a selling club.

When asked if Coutinho was not for sale, Klopp told Liverpoolfc.com:

“Yes, that’s what we can say. But that’s not since this morning or yesterday, I’m not sure if it was different at any time. So, yes.

“I’m not surprised that any club is interested in players, if it is like this. A few people obviously see that Liverpool has a few good players. That’s how it is.

“But a very important message, maybe – we are not a selling club. We believe in working together, we believe in development together. We believe in using the basis. We want to work together, we want to make the next step together and for this we need to stay together. That’s how it is.”

“Phil is a very, very important player but we need to react better when he’s not on the pitch, that’s how it is.”

It remains to be seen whether Barcelona will get the message or return with an improved offer but it appears Liverpool are adamant they won’t cash-in on their star man this summer.

READ MORE –> Liverpool transfer news

The Merseysiders are back in the Champions League after finishing fourth last season and Klopp is continuing to strengthen his squad this summer so it would be a huge step backwards if they did allow Coutinho to move to the Nou Camp.

Best of the web

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *