- Theo Walcott Offers Positive Injury Update
- Arsenal ‘Working’ On Deal To Re-Sign Unsettled Van Persie
- Chelsea Offered Tempting Diego Costa + £8m Swap Deal In Exchange For Courtois
- Cavani Agent In London For Talks Over Potential £54m Summer Move
- Chelsea Trying To Hijack Liverpool’s Salah Move After Submitting £10m Bid
- [Player Ratings] Chelsea 3-1 Man Utd: How The Blues Players Rated
Rodgers To Raise Janaury Trasnfer Funds By Offloading £20m Flop
Despite the transfer window being closed, there is always transfer gossip doing the rounds in the papers and we’ll keep you up-to-date with the latest news during the coming months. Today, Stewart Downing is on his way out of Anfield.
The former England winger has been a huge disappointment since arriving at Liverpool in a £20m deal from Aston Villa in the summer of 2011, and is set to end his Anfield nightmare this winter.
Rodgers has used Downing sparingly since taking over in the summer with the winger restricted to cameo’s from the bench or a rare start in the Europa League, and he is yet to score a Premier League goal in his 40 appearances for the Reds.
It seems Rodgers has finally decided to call an end to the former Middlesborough stars time at Anfield and he’s keen to get his £70,000-a-week wages off the books so he can free up some budget for new signings. The Northern Irishman has told him Downing he is not in his first team plans and he will either be sold or loaned out when the transfer window re-opens in January.
Read more Liverpool transfer news
The Merseysiders will be forced to make a huge loss on the £20m they paid out for him just 16 months ago if they do decide to sell. If a buyer can not be found they will loan the 28-year-old out as they did with Andy Carroll to West Ham in the summer.
Are Liverpool fans disappointed to see Downing leave? Should he have been given more time? Get involved in the comments section.