Wenger Responds To Khedira Reports + Hints At Two More Signings

By on August 3, 2014

The summer transfer window is now well under way and managers are working hard to strengthen their squads ahead of next season, so we’ll bring you all the latest news and gossip. Today, Arsene Wenger has his say on links to Sami Khedira.

Sami-Khedira

Arsene Wenger has remained coy on reports linking him with a move for Real Madrid’s Sami Khedira but admits he could bring in two further signings before the transfer window closes.

Speculation in recent weeks has strongly linked us with a move for Khedira and reports in Spain last month even suggested we had agreed a €29m fee with Madrid, but were struggling to agree personal terms with the midfielder.

Speaking after Saturday’s 5-1 win over Benfica in the Emirates Cup, the Frenchman was quizzed about his interest in the 27-year-old and although he insists no offer has been made, he gave a rather cryptic answers when asked if he will enquire for the German international or if he knows about his potential availability.

Wenger told Arsenal.com:

on whether he has made an offer for Sami Khedira…

No.

on enquiring for Khedira…

What is enquire for you?

on Khedira’s availablity…

I dont know. If I read the newspapers, he is available.

Another central midfielder is understood to be on the agenda with Arsene hopefully looking for someone who can add a bit of steel and physicality to the centre of the park, and someone like Khedira would obviously be an excellent addition.

Judging by Arsene’s response, I think it’s fair to say the interest is there but it remains to be seen whether we’ll get a deal over the line or not. I have a feeling we’ll probably sit tight for a couple of weeks and see how things develop.

Many fans feel we could also do with bringing in another striker while a replacement will be needed if Thomas Vermaelen leaves, so we’re still hoping for plenty of business to be done before the August 31st deadline.

However, it looks like another forward is unlikely as the boss says there will be a maximum of two new additions, with defence his main priority. He said:

“Who’s next [to sign for Arsenal]? I don’t know. There could still be one signing. Just the one, maybe two maximum,”

“If a good opportunity comes up we might still do but at the moment we’re not close to signing anybody.

“I’m very happy with the squad I have available at the moment but we might be short at the back, maybe.” source: Goal

I think it’s pretty clear Vermaelen will be off so another versatile defender will certainly be required, and the likelihood is that the ‘good opportunity’ Wenger speaks of refer to whether we can get a deal done for a central midfielder.

Hopefully we can get the deals done and bring the right players in as we look close to having a complete squad that could go all the way this season. Another striker would be great, but Yaya Sanogo and Joel Campbell look like excellent prospects and if the likes of Olivier Giroud, Alexis Sanchez, Lukas Podolski and Theo Walcott can stay fit, we should have enough in attack.

Best of the web

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *